Suspected Gas Leak That Sent Two St. Francis Teachers To The Hospital Was Actually Preserved Dead Cats

By Admin on November 9, 2018
(Photo by Carl Court/Getty Images)

Raise your hands if you knew that kids dissected cats in high school nowadays. Because I sure had no clue. But apparently they do, and like piglets and frogs, the dead cats are stored in formaldehyde. Now, if you’ve ever smelled formaldehyde, you know its disgusting. 

Turns out it smells even worse and even stronger when it gets heated up. In fact, it smells so bad that PG&E was called out to St Francis on Thursday to investigate a gas leak. While they were searching the premises, they found no gas leak. Instead, they found the preserved cats in a lab near a heater. Two teachers were sent to the hospital and nine students reported feeling ill due to the “strange” fumes in the air. 

According to the Sacramento Bee, exposure to formaldehyde can cause watery eyes; a burning sensation in the eyes, nose, and throat; coughing or wheezing; nausea; and skin irritation.

Around the site