By Tom Mailey
I have a love/hate relationship with Twitter. I love it because, for my job, it’s become a valuable tool for finding show material. I hate it because 90% of all tweets are the stuff in people’s heads that they used to keep to themselves…for good reason.
That said, there are some excellent accounts to follow. Some are interesting. Some contain important news and information and some are just plain hilarious. I don’t pretend to know all the best Twitter accounts, but here are 11 that I almost always stop at when I’m scrolling through. Why 11 and not 10? Because it’s my list. #DealWithit
1) First up, one of my two favorites: @_FloridaMan. If you love you some dumb stories from Florida, this site has them all, including this recent gem
— Florida Man (@_FloridaMan) March 19, 2018
2) And my other fave, @Super70sSports. If you’re of a certain age, and love sports and/or pop culture from pretty much any era that hasn’t aged well, this is a must-follow
At last we can answer the question "What would happen if Farrah, Mr. Kotter, Meathead, Laverne, Richie & Robert Conrad all went to Sears Portrait Studio?" pic.twitter.com/gf3moy1Sik
— Super 70s Sports (@Super70sSports) March 20, 2018
3) If you love nature, but understand that real nature, while often pretty to look at, can also be absolutely terrifying, then you might want to follow @NatureIsScary. Warning, though: it is not for the faint of heart…it took me a few minutes to find an example of their posts that I could feature here.
Sorry humans, it's lunch time pic.twitter.com/dd7KmH1ZcP
— Nature is Scary (@NatureisScary) March 12, 2018
4) For the history-minded who can appreciate both old photos of the Civil War AND The Simpson’s writing room, there’s @HistoryInPics
"The Simpsons" writing room, 1992. pic.twitter.com/GbGHW2DOUc
— History In Pictures (@HistoryInPics) March 21, 2018
5) So much of social media is an echo chamber that it’s hard to find news accounts that have no obvious agenda. But I’ve found that @AP comes fairly close to just reporting the news without trying to tell us what they think we should think
Police have begun evacuating the area near the home where the Austin bombing suspect lived. https://t.co/fEkxVqhxv6
— The Associated Press (@AP) March 21, 2018
6) Yes he’s a co-worker. Yes he’s a big lumbering dufus. But I love the guy and even if I didn’t I would still follow him on Twitter because @CarmichaelDave from our sister station Sports 1140 is not only a great source for any fan of the Sacramento Kings, he’s also quirky, funny, thoughtful and smart as hell (but don’t tell him I said that)
LeBron is everything good about America. Born poor, raised by a single mom- found something he excelled at and excelled the shit out of it. Brought others up with him, built a business empire, raises his family- stays out of trouble.
Speaks his mind.
THAT is a role model.
— Carmichael Dave (@CarmichaelDave) February 16, 2018
7) I follow a lot of country artists–duh, it goes with the job. And while many keep their accounts as safe as possible (one of the best at this, while still keeping it interesting and fun, is @CarrieUnderwood), others aren’t afraid to let it all hang out. @BlakeShelton is the kingpin, of course, but his volume has gone down the busier he’s gotten. @BradPaisley isn’t as whacked out as Blake, but he’s a funny dude and is also not afraid, when it’s appropriate, to speak his mind. Speaking of which…I like artists who speak their mind, regardless of whether or not I agree with them. @MarenMorris is that way. So are @brothersosborne. Maybe it’s because they’re both 6’4 and wildly talented but these boys have no fear, and will address everything from racial issues to smoking weed, to clapping back at Twitter trolls when it’s appropriate.
Leave the country for 5 days, miss a news headline, suddenly you're a KKK/Nazi sympathizer. We believe ALL forms of racism is putrid. Guess some things don't go without saying. Turn the angst of your followers to where it matters, @eugenegu. Nashville artists are not the enemy. https://t.co/GrCWiQ2E9A
— Brothers Osborne (@brothersosborne) March 19, 2018
8) Just when you’ve scrolled through 57 tweets and are starting to wonder if there is intelligent life anywhere, you come across @neiltyson and you feel a little bit better knowing there ARE some adults on social media. Plus, sometimes he’ll just simply blow your mind
His passing has left an intellectual vacuum in his wake. But it's not empty. Think of it as a kind of vacuum energy permeating the fabric of spacetime that defies measure. Stephen Hawking, RIP 1942-2018. pic.twitter.com/nAanMySqkt
— Neil deGrasse Tyson (@neiltyson) March 14, 2018
9) If you could scoop up a handful of sunshine and turn it into a living, breathing person, you’d end up with someone very similar to @cambibrown. The Good Day Sacramento reporter/personality is a great follow for her often hilarious takes on life, love, and her mom
I was telling my mom about these new Instagram insights I get. Her response: that’s good for the police in case you ever go missing. Cool mom. Thanks.
— Cambi Brown (@CambiBrown) March 8, 2018
10) Lastly but not leastly, @realoverheardla is an account that purportedly posts real quotes overheard down in LaLa Land. Some of them are so good I sometimes question whether or not they’re true but then I think, who cares.
"The dating here sucks!!!"
"Oh no, honey, you don't come to LA for the people."
Overheard by @remingtonbruce
— Overheardla (@realoverheardla) March 21, 2018
11) Turns out the most unheralded of first-responders, dispatch operators, have a pretty sharp sense of humor. They probably have to, dealing with some of the horrors they have to confront. But thankfully, they share some of that humor with us, including @just911operator (who lives here and works here in the Sacramento region).
Taking 911 Calls From Millennials
M: My friend is missing
D: Whats your friends first and last name?
D: Last Name?
M: I don’t know. His twitter handle is, on instagram it’s, & Snapchat it’s
D: What does John look like?
M: I don’t really know he uses the dog filter a lot
— Just A 911 Coperator (@Just911Operator) March 22, 2018
How about you? What are some of your favorite Twitter follows (I’m at @kncitom..you know..in case you were wondering)